Variety Israel is a non-profit organization established in 1967 to support and assist children with special needs, from birth up to the age of 18 years, without any religious, racial or national discrimination whatsoever.
Throughout its years of activity the organization has supported thousands of children with special needs.
Variety Israel was established in 1967 at the initiative of the late President of Israel, Haim Herzog, the actor Haim Topol, Danny Angel, Kenny Greidinger, Mrs. Ruth Dayan and additional friends, for the purpose of assisting and supporting Israeli children (up to the age of 18), whose problems fall between two stools of various organizations and institutions, and who have nowhere to turn to.
A further goal is to complement the support and care of children who are treated by other organizations and institutions but do not receive a full range of support and treatment.
Despite the large and growing numbers of organizations and societies that care for children with special needs, the families rarely receive full assistance and they cannot meet the heavy financial burden of raising a handicapped child – or sometimes two and even more in the same family.
The assistance that we provide is financial and it focuses on areas such as medical treatments (surgeries, dental treatments, orthodontic treatments, mouth and jaw surgeries and more) and paramedical treatments (such as occupational therapy, physiotherapy, therapeutic riding, hydrotherapy, etc.).
We also participate in the costs of purchasing therapeutic and rehabilitative equipment (such as wheelchairs, inserts, bathing devices, eye glasses, hearing aids, etc.) and assist in the funding of professional, nursing and rehabilitation aides and staff (such as employing caregivers, participation in the costs of after-school clubs and rehabilitative kindergartens), rides to institutions and hospitals and the like.
Variety Israel acts with great energy and love for handicapped children and carries out a wide range of additional activities
"Variety" Israel's Report
1. Telethon- The main event, at which we raised most of the money, is the annual telethon event "Dancing for the Golden Children". This year, the event was held on January 24, 2011, and around $2,000,000 were raised.
2. "Activity and Playing Halls"-"Variety" Israel, together with the Israel Corporation Ltd, continue to lead the project of establishment "Activity and Playing Halls" for hospitalized children all over the country, and a new activity room was established recently at ‘Hillel Yafe’ hospital in Hadera.
3. "Variety" Israel's scouts- The youth movement which was established by "Variety" Israel together with the scouts' movement, continues to grow and includes around 40 Variety children. The children enjoyed full sessions in front of the computer, and were integrated with the scouts’ activities, without the necessity of leaving the house.
4. Jerusalem Variety center provides a loving home for children with special needs. In the year 2009 alone, the center granted services for 800 children weekly. The center activates play rooms, nurseries, after- school child care facilities and developmental centers.
5. "Variety" Israel is celebrating 16 years of cooperation with the Maccabi Tel Aviv basketball team by holding a ceremony at each home game." Variety" Israel child accompanied by Adv. Ory Slonim, Chairman of "Variety" Israel and Variety International Past President, goes on to the field just seconds before the game and receives a ball signed by all the team players, and gets to be photographed with one of the players wearing his Maccabi uniform.
7. Maccabi Haifa club sponsorships Variety's children for the third year, by directing some of their souvenirs income to the children. In addition to that, the club hosts the children in the games and events throughout the year.
8. ‘The Medicines fund’ donated by Israel Corporation Ltd- Participation in acquisition of medicines and special nutrition, in ‘Lovas’ treatment for autistic children, in acquisition of walkers and in expenses of employing home cares.